By Laura Posada Marulanda, Iraida Manjarrez and Lina GÃ³mez Lara
PREPARATION TIME: 1.2 hrs
- 2.2 lb of shrimp, calamari and white fish filet
- 1 red onion
- 2 peppers (one red, one green)
- 1 celery stick
- 6 sweet peppers
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 6 cups water
- 2 large coconuts
- 8 peeled tomatoes
- Pinch of cilantro
1. Cut fish into small squares and peel shrimp (hold onto the shells). Season with a dash of salt an pepper.
2. Dice vegetables and sautÃ©ed in olive oil until your reach the consistency of a creamy sauce. Blend tomatoes apart.
3. In a separate pan, heat the shells in water for six minutes. Remove the shells and leave the broth on low heat.
4. Using a hammer, crack open the coconut. Extract white coconut meat from shells and grate. Squeeze the coconut shavings into a medium bowl to extract the coconut milk.
5. Slowly add vegetables and coconut milk to broth. Mix continuously so the milk does not curdle.
6. Mix in blended tomatoes to the broth. This will be your base for the cazuela.
7. Sautee seafood until lightly brown and bring together with base. Top off with a pinch of cilantro and enjoy!